Keeping mosquitoes out of your home or yard is a challenging task. We of course offer mosquito control and mosquito spraying services. We’ve posted previously an article about bug and insect control. This focuses on items you can add to your landscape to keep mosquitoes away from your home. There are a few options for homeowners that want to keep mosquitoes away from the home. Some include landscaping and others include items you may find at a hardware store. So what are they?
Mosquito Repelling Plants
For those that have an outdoor space that you like to enjoy or have children that play outside, adding some mosquito repelling plants is a great idea. Below we have a list of plants that help you keep mosquitoes away from your home.
- Lavender – Have you noticed that rabbits or other insects don’t destroy your lavender plants? Lavender plants have a great fragrance that comes from the oils in their leaves. Some even say the lavender plant will hinder a mosquitoes ability to smell. Lavender plants are tough and drought resistant, perfect for the Rockwall weather and hot summers.
- Marigolds – These easy to grow flowers emit a smell that deters mosquitoes and help keep them away from your home. You can plant marigolds in pots, flower beds or use them as a border for a vegetable garden. In addition to deterring mosquitoes marigolds also deter other bugs and beetles.
- Citronella Greass – This grass is known for its distinct smell and is commonly used in mosquito repellents. It can be planted in direct sun and does well in planter boxes.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is another great option for a natural mosquito repellent. The woody smell keeps mosquitoes as well as moths and flies away. Not only can it keep mosquitoes away from your home, it provides a great seasoning for cooking.
- Basil – This in another herb that can also double as a mosquito repellent. Basil leaves give off a very pungent smell, which keep mosquitoes, flies and other insects at bay. Basil does well in planter boxes and can have full sun.
Mosquito Repelling Products
If you are looking for other items besides natural plants, citronella candles can be purchased at many hardware stores. Although, some research suggests that the citronella candle actually doesn’t provide much of a repellent. You may also purchase mosquito sticks, which only last a few hours and need to be replaced.
The best solution is of course regular pest control services for your lawn and property. Mosquitoes specifically will only travel about 100 feet from their birth place, so keeping your property free of standing water, piles of leafs, etc. is important. Contact us today for an estimate on your property.